Support for texture arrays

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Simson
Competition winner

Re: Support for texture arrays

Post by Simson »

Okay, thank you Hendu :)
Simson
Competition winner

Post by Simson »

Well,
I have added this two lines in COpenGLTexture.cpp at line 926 :
PFNGLTEXIMAGE3DPROC glTexImage3D = (PFNGLTEXIMAGE3DPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glTexImage3D");
PFNGLTEXSUBIMAGE3DPROC glTexSubImage3D = (PFNGLTEXSUBIMAGE3DPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glTexSubImage3D");
I don't know if this is correct but that compile and work fine now :)
hendu

Post by hendu »

Haha, Windows and its GL 1.1 header ;) 3d textures were included in core in GL 1.2.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I have not yet tested this patch nor downloaded it does it add or modifies anything else?

liike does it add suport for 3d texture if no would it be hard to implement 3d texture? cause some could use 3d texture without mipmap and generate lod via multi-sampling in shader
hendu

Post by hendu »

No, it doesn't add 3d texture support, but it could be added on top of this patch fairly easily if you want.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

3d texture suport would be nice adding it in the engine would allow us to make the suport for multi layered texture similar through all drivers using a hack
and would give me a basis to build the dx10 drive texture interphase
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

a Shameless bump

if i understand right your implementation use a function to define the type of texture and could eventualy be expended to implement as many texture type as any driver can suport?
hendu

Post by hendu »

Yes, that's correct.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

alright if anyone feel to integrate more texture format for OpenGL i'll implement them for dx9 and 11
Mars_999

Post by Mars_999 »

Please add in texture arrays and the new bindless texture extension that nvidia has with GeForce 600 series.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/op ... exture.txt

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/op ... _array.txt

I am new to iirlicht, but I am assuming that you will add in a enum type to the material types for texture array and bindless textures? And when used with glsl should be transparent? Just need to have access to the texture object so one can update them...

Those I would like to add ASAP.... Thanks
hendu

Post by hendu »

You can use these patches right now, to have support for texture arrays. No need to wait for them to be integrated to irr.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

When I'll fix issues in OGL ES2 I'll back to OpenGL driver and try to integrate many new features into core. For v1.9 we'll prepare some nice new stuff for textures. From my side I can say that I don't have in plans to prepare a stuff which works only on NV hardware eg. bindless (I prefer solutions which works on both AMD and NV).
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

integrating a vendor specific feature is only usefull to get the user wondering why dont this work
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Thanks a lot, we used some of this to implement animated particles

And I used it as a nice specification with which to conform with to implement 3d textures
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

There are 5 files on the tracker is there a single file patch cause i'm 100% sure installing 5 patch back to back will drive my svn client mad.

and this is my next objective once instancing is done and I have some time loose