Is there game engine that is based on irrlicht?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
umen

Is there game engine that is based on irrlicht?

Post by umen »

as the great irrlicht is mostly render engine ++ , do you know attempts to build game engine on top of irrlicht ?
Thanks
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Is there game engine that is based on irrlicht?

Post by CuteAlien »

Sorry, moving this topic, the FAQ sub-forum is not for questions.
And yeah, once in a while someone starts a game-engine, but I don't follow them too much usually.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
umen

Post by umen »

any links to some unfinished game engines ?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Check this forum :) You can find here a some game engines based on Irrlicht.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
umen

Post by umen »

yep im scanning the forum for 2 days now , found some stuff mostly games and projects
and not realy any game engines ( that are good and working not version 0.000001's)
fmx

Post by fmx »

Most of us here are simple programmers who use irrlicht for simple one-off projects or work for clients, and the ones that *have* taken the trouble to develop a full fledged game-engine with irrlicht almost never publicly release their tech because of the financial possibilities of marketing one (see Niko's very own CopperCube engine for an example, though he probably didnt use irrlicht as we know it :wink: )

Your only options are to either develop your own engine, or try contacting members to see if they are willing to license out their engines for you to use.

Seeing as we're on this topic:
do you devs feel that irrlicht *should* have a formal spinoff Game-Engine project?

I know in the past I've read discussions about how far irrlicht could be taken, and the decision was always to keep irrlicht the lightweight rendering engine that it is.
I'm also aware that the other difficulty would be managing such a project, more people would need to volunteer because it would be unfair to expect the devs to do it

How about doing it as another irrlicht Tutorial/Sample project?
the Sample would show how to integrate Physics (eg, Bullet), Audio (eg, irrKlang) and Networking (eg, enet) into a generic API framework built around irrlicht, more of a starting point for aspiring game/engine developers rather than an actual engine
umen

Post by umen »

im with you . i just want to lean how to build simple game from start to end , all i have found never fully compiled even ....
hendu

Post by hendu »

do you devs feel that irrlicht *should* have a formal spinoff Game-Engine project?
Nah. No one engine suits everything. Just take a look at $whatever_game_engine, be it unity, xna, etc. It always has limitations on what you can do.
umen

Post by umen »

well i just need for learning the source code
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

For that you can take a look at open-source games (like SuperTuxKart for example).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@umen: I personally always prefer to write everything I need from scratch. That`s the way I`ve been learning all along. I assume everything else as more-or-less copying or imitating. Not to mention that I rarely like another person`s implementation on sth. I find digging another persons` code kinda humiliating and feel it as a personal failure I cannot figure out solution myself. Getting your hands dirty building a project from flat ground is the way to go IMO. Plus, then you can always say "It`s me who did that all alone." and you won`t burn in hell after that. :)

If you`re too lazy to fix the issues that prevent a ready project from compiling, well, that`s just bad...
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
umen

Post by umen »

hehe man its not to mimic other ppl stuff its for me like reading a book .
i like to see other ppl source ( like JDK and STL sources ... ) .
every body has its methods to learn my is reading source .
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

"Whoops..."
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

On the topic, I have been working on a game "overhead" in my spare time. Alot of games have similar attributes (they all have characters for one thing), which each have their own aspects that are also quite common (e.g. player speed). Sure, there are some differences, but it's possible to create an "overhead" containing classes that can be inherited from (to establish more aspects for desired gameplay) and a management class that handles how things generally fit together (whether they are needed or not). As you can imagine, it's very abstract at this point, but at least it will get the basics out of the way. And hopefully it will make full implementation easier.