Skipping color/normal/texcoord arrays?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
hendu

Skipping color/normal/texcoord arrays?

Post by hendu »

I assume at least some advantage can be gained by not enabling unneeded arrays, even though they do get uploaded to the card, since normals and texcoords are already disabled for points and point sprites.

Given they do take up VRAM in the VBO case, would there be any measurable gain there? In the vertex array case there would certainly be, as then it could skip uploads to the card.

I propose a new field for SMaterial, SkipArrays, that would contain flags on whether to not enable colors, texcoords, and/or normals for this drawing.

ESA_COLORS, ESA_TEXCOORDS, ESA_NORMALS...
Nadro

Re: Skipping color/normal/texcoord arrays?

Post by Nadro »

You have similar features in shader-pipeline branch (flexible vertex format), so no more options for it is require in my opinion :)
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, once you can set which properties shall be used frmt he vertex information, you have these things automatically. Hopefully we can also support some of the features in the fixed function pipeline later on.
hendu

Post by hendu »

OK, I'll just add it for my 1.7 branch then, the FVF is probably still years away ;)
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

hendu wrote:the FVF is probably still years away ;)
Why You think that?
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
hendu

Post by hendu »

Oh, I don't doubt that it's usable already; I mean the glacial pace of irrlicht trunk, it'll be years before FVF is in a released irrlicht.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

I hope that we'll surprise a community this time on the pace of implementation time for new features :)
fmx

Post by fmx »

^ really glad to hear that Nadro :D
I was also expecting we might not see FVFs properly in irrlicht for some years, judging by past irrlicht releases