[Poll]Texture compression patch (part I)

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

What do you think is best?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:06 am

Simple patch without API changes?
88%
API changes wich requires to call more methods, but move a "thread specific problem" from "createImageFromFile" to "ITexture-lock"?
13%

Total votes: 8

REDDemon
Developer

[Poll]Texture compression patch (part I)

Post by REDDemon »

I added a small patch to the tracker. that patch really makes few changes and collect all the changes I need for later implement compressed textures. What is added is (internally) a method for load "hardwaretextures" (textures wich are created before as ITexture and then conversion to IImage is done only if required) and one method for check file extension (because since i'm not using a IImage loader the extension needed to be checked in some way).
My KTX loader need only that patch a no other changes to Irrlicht (especially there is no need for API changes)

The patch was already tested by me with the latest revision (revision 4118).

The following method by the way was not changed (so actually can't create an empty compressed texture):

Code: Select all

virtual ITexture* addTexture(const core::dimension2d<u32>& size,
                        const io::path& name, ECOLOR_FORMAT format = ECF_A8R8G8B8) = 0;

that method was not changed because I had to do one of the following things (wich was both API changes)
1) equivalent method added to IVideoDriver (addCompressedTexture) (don't know if you developers wanted a new method in IVideoDriver)
OR
2) new enum to color format for specify compressed formats (don't know if you developers want really a new enum that would lead to confunsion for IImage users)

When doing that patch I thinked to make code for DDS/KTX loaders clearly separated so that it is isolated and can be debugged without interference with pre-existing and working implementation (that's mean I avoided any change to current Irrlicht API). When and If the patch is accepted and I have finished new texture loaders I'll add also the second patch wich will add compressed textures implementation definitively.

LINK TO PATCH ON TRACKER:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=540678

I know that the patch is really little, but I think that's the strongest point. The chance that the patch will not work with bugfixes/new features is really low.

Last edited by REDDemon on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
REDDemon
Developer

Re: Texture compression patch (part I)

Post by REDDemon »

added poll, related to disccusion on:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... 8&start=45

my vote has been casted^^

... you can change your vote if you change your mind.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Nadro

Re: [Poll]Texture compression patch (part I)

Post by Nadro »

I also already voted :P
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes