FBO irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
REDDemon
Developer

FBO irrlicht

Post by REDDemon »

wich is the current FBO status in irrlicht? If any, what will be future improvements?
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Re: FBO irrlicht

Post by hybrid »

Hmm? Every RTT is an FBO if the system supports it.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I mean for example on my machine multiple render target is supported widely, while irrlicht tells that MRT is not supported to my machine. What irrlicht does is to create exactly 1 FBO for each render target? what about other attachments to FBOs? isn't there a G buffer?
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

We have IMHO all MRT support that is possible. If it does not work on your machine, we have to debug this somehow. MRTs are definitely supported in Irrlicht.
We do not support arbitrarily composed FBOs, because we do not have any means to access depth levels or other FBO components in Irrlicht at all. Once we have these objects available as ressources in the engine, we can think about using them for compositions as well. Sometimes it is also easier to think about some situations, which can also help to hide these things behind the API. But there's nothing in preparation for this so far.
hendu

Post by hendu »

For more internal access (fbo attachments), perhaps access to the mipmaps can be considered with the same redesign?

@REDDemon
Depth is shared, color is unique, and stencil is not turned on in GL yet.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well mipmap support at all would be good, and access to mipmaps will be provided then anyway. The general access to layers and structures which are supported in other parts of Irrlicht anyway will definitely be added. I only have to think about a better interface for setting the texture properties. Fixing the rest should be not much of a problem. Optimizations are another issue.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

hendu wrote:For more internal access (fbo attachments), perhaps access to the mipmaps can be considered with the same redesign?

@REDDemon
Depth is shared, color is unique, and stencil is not turned on in GL yet.
thx :)
- by Me