[applied] Vertex cache optimization

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
REDDemon
Developer

Re: [applied] Vertex cache optimization

Post by REDDemon »

oh yes :) I had that snippet in my 1.7.3 version because I added it from trunk
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hendu

Post by hendu »

REDDemon wrote:you have that method in mesh manipulator (should be present in irrlicht 1.7.3 and in last trunk).
have anyone tried to apply the algorithm for sort similiarly textured vertices? (similiar textcoordinates). in theory that should improve also performance.. or not?
No, I don't think drawing similarly textured vertices together would improve performance. Maybe I misunderstood you?

Also, please post your numbers, if you've used it ;)
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I was just asking.. In theory also textures are cached. :)
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

REDDemon wrote:have anyone tried to apply the algorithm for sort similiarly textured vertices? (similiar textcoordinates). in theory that should improve also performance.. or not?
I'm not sure to understand your question but I think you are pointing the meshbuffer optimisation (one mesh buffer by texture and by the way prevent from switching textures over and over).
Because otherwise I don't think that same textcoordinates may apply to cache optimisation.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

No no i speaking about textcoordinates. Or is texture caching so fast that this don't really matters if optimized or not? that was just a question ^^
- by Me
hendu

Post by hendu »

You can't reasonably affect the texture caches via vertex order, every gpu is different and draws pixels in its own groupings.

What you can do is have as large areas as possible using nearby pixels, this would help the texture cache.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

ok thx :)
- by Me