Irrlicht with cubemap support

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Re: Irrlicht with cubemap support

Postby Joe_R » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Hello!

I'm using a recent trunk version of Irrlicht (Direct3D 9 driver) with the cubemap support. In my case the display window can be closed and reopened by the application, so the irrlicht device can be opened/closed multiple times. If I'm using cubemaps, a strange memory leak appears. I create the cubemap the following way:

cpp Code: Select all

irr::video::IImage* cubeImages[6];

cubeImages[0] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/pos-x.png");
cubeImages[1] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/neg-x.png"),
cubeImages[2] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/pos-y.png"),
cubeImages[3] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/neg-y.png"),
cubeImages[4] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/neg-z.png"),
cubeImages[5] = driver->createImageFromFile("cube/pos-z.png");

cubemapTexture = driver->addTextureCubemap("environmentMap", cubeImages[0], cubeImages[1], cubeImages[2], cubeImages[3], cubeImages[4], cubeImages[5]);

for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++)
        cubeImages[i]->drop();

So far so good, the leak only appears if I try to assign it to a material:

cpp Code: Select all

node->setMaterialTexture(4, cubemapTexture);

If I comment this out the leak disappears. The size of the leak seams to be equal to the size of the 6 textures (1024*1024*4*6=~25MB) according to Visual Studio memory snapshots. I tried to look at the code of the Direct3D driver, but I can't find any apperent reason for this phenomenon. Could it be a bug in Irrlicht, or am I doing something wrong?
Joe_R

Postby devsh » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:42 pm

its because irrlicht uses reference counting on textures
We chose to stream mesh data from Multiple OpenGL Contexts in many threads and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard! - JFK
devsh
Competition winner

Postby Joe_R » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Yes, I know that, however setMaterialTexture doesn't increase the reference count. The reference count of cubemapTexture is set to 1 when I call driver->addTextureCubemap and decreased to 0 when the driver is destructed. The IImage instances I use to load the 6 textures are dropped after creating the cubemap, so I think there should be no leak. When I'm debugging I also load the .pdb for Irrlicht, so I should see the exact Irrlicht type that causes the leak in the memory snapshots, however it's not the case, it only sais "External frame". I will try to write a minimum code that produces this behaviour.
Joe_R

Previous

Return to Open Discussion and Dev Announcements