Irrlicht with cubemap support

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Irrlicht with cubemap support

Post by Mel »

Reflections, mainly. The cubemaps usage is to provide a complete environment for objects that need them much more accurate than the regular sphere mapping. Also, for shaders, they have sense because can automatically perform a 3d sample and use the correct mip mapping. And they store 6 textures on a single texture stage, so, you can use more textures, with some limitations, is a cheap texture array of 6 elements.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The reason why it is not yet in Irrlicht core is that we have had several extensions to the texture API (setting those material details, access to mipmaps, etc.) which always had to be added on top of this extension. And I didn't finish with this so far, even though cube maps were initially planned for 1.8 as well. But it might be not so far away to have this or a similar addition in Irrlicht core.
smso

Post by smso »

Compilation of CubemapTest failed:

Code: Select all

g++ CubemapTest/CubemapTest/main.o CubemapTest/CubemapTest/CubemapTest.o -L. -L/home/smso/ex/irrlicht/cubemap/irrlicht/lib/Linux -lm -lIrrlicht -lGL -lXxf86vm -lXext -lX11 -o r
/home/smso/ex/irrlicht/cubemap/irrlicht/lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a(COpenGLDriver.o): In function `irr::video::COpenGLDriver::createDeviceDependentTextureCube(irr::core::string<char, irr::core::irrAllocator<char> > const&, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*)':
/home/smso/ex/irrlicht/cubemap/irrlicht/source/Irrlicht/COpenGLDriver.cpp:2495: undefined reference to `irr::video::COpenGLTextureCube::COpenGLTextureCube(irr::core::string<char, irr::core::irrAllocator<char> > const&, irr::video::COpenGLDriver*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*, irr::video::IImage*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I used the version of irrlicht in the first post.
Does it work with the opengl driver?

Regards,
smso
elvman

Post by elvman »

hybrid wrote:The reason why it is not yet in Irrlicht core is that we have had several extensions to the texture API (setting those material details, access to mipmaps, etc.) which always had to be added on top of this extension. And I didn't finish with this so far, even though cube maps were initially planned for 1.8 as well. But it might be not so far away to have this or a similar addition in Irrlicht core.
Oh, it is nice to hear that! I really need the cubemaps integrated into Irrlich, so that I can continue my work on Realistic water scene node. What is the estimated release date of 1.8?
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

anywhere around 2011... according to the SVN' documents ;)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, should read 0x11, though, so in less than 5 years :-D
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

Sometimes I wish I had no project to work on so I could help out on the engine. I get the feeling that it takes a special kind of drive to work on an engine, as its a seemingly unending project\process.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
elvman

Post by elvman »

Is there any progress with cubemap support?
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Still no progress here. Anyway it should be available in v1.9.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Cube maps are already implemented for OGL and OGL ES2 drivers (ogl-es branch). In upcoming days I'll add them to other drivers.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow great news! Thanks Nadro!
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

It's really sad it's 2014 and you still cant use a cubemap in direct3d Irrlicht version.
elvman

Post by elvman »

It's 2016 and we finally got cubemap support! I am really glad :)
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

Yeah but only in trunk, If I used trunk I would lose features that I use in shader pipeline :(
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

What features?