Max Plugin

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
gameprogrammer

Max Plugin

Post by gameprogrammer »

it's a nice and easy 2 use engine. but it would be much better with a 3ds max plugin (or direct import) with materials and animations. :D
all of us know a good model (for todays games) is much more complex than a md2 model. i guess it would be really nice if u make it.
(hope in a near future!!!" :roll:
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hi, the engine is able to import .3ds files with materials. But without animations. For animations, you can use .ms3d files besides .md2. You could export your animation into one of these, there are exporters available on the internet. But I will add new importers to the engine, maybe someday there will be a .max importer. :)
gameprogrammer

Post by gameprogrammer »

irrlicht wrote:the engine is able to import .3ds files with materials. But without animations. For animations, you can use .ms3d files besides .md2. You could export your animation into one of these. :)
thanx for replying, but i have 2 more questions :

1 how to import 3ds materials? (besides sometimes i get error while loading a 3ds file :?: )

2 how can i use my around 30000 vertices animated model (using max) in engine?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

gameprogrammer wrote: 1 how to import 3ds materials? (besides sometimes i get error while loading a 3ds file ?
The materials should be imported automaticly. In the current version, there is a bug: material textures are only loaded from the current directory, not from the directory where the 3ds file is, but its fixed in the next release. (This release will come next week, its nearly done.)
gameprogrammer wrote: 2 how can i use my around 30000 vertices animated model (using max) in engine?
You could export it into a file format which the engine understands. Like md2 (don't know if 30000 vertices are too much for md2) or ms3d. There is also a .x file exporter available on the internet, the .x file format will be supported by the engine soon.
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

There is an exporter from max to milkshape if you want you can find him here:
http://www.mds.mdh.se/~elt01mcg/