Does Sound Hardware exist or not

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Does Sound Hardware exist or not

Post by Vectrotek »

I changed to Windows 7 - 64 bit, but my old Xfi Sound driver / card works only when it wants to!
I noticed that when it decides that it doesn't want ot work, all my Irrlciht Apps that use "Audierre" crashes!
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Re: Does Sound Hardware exist or not

Post by Vectrotek »

I intentionally disabled my Sound Hardware, disabled all Audio code and the Apps work!

I thought Audierre would have a quick way to determine if Sound Hardware exists or is installed.
(I'm still looking)
"F-Mod" does inform the user if Sound Card is available or not workin g properly but I stop using it since it
became commercial.

Is there any way in Irrlicht to determine if Sound Hardware is installed and operates properly?

I'd like the program to automatically determine if Sound is availabe so that a flag like "SoundCardOK"
can be set.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Irrlicht hasn't really anything for sound (the irrKlang library is from the same author as Irrlicht originally in case you mean that one). But most sound libraries have some kind of init function which should tell you about errors.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

If you have the hardware and the correct drivers installed (and since you don't have windows 10 I assume you have no troubles with audio drivers :roll: ), then it is up to the audio library doing the job, I tried audiere but was not very happy (years ago, maybe now it has improved). Of course if you have precompiled binaries and you are using GCC chances are BIG that the binary has some incompatibility issues (unluckily you have to use the same compiler version used to create the binary if you want to avoid troubles).
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

Thanks REDDemon! Lesson learnt..
I really like Audierre because it is quite small and plays almost every audio format out there!
What I like the most is how it can play "Tracked" items like "*.it / xm / mod etc" at the same time as
"Sampled" items like "*.ogg" with minimal delay.. Oh, I wanted to go Win 10, but chose Win 7..

I Still have to sign up to Sourceforge, will soon..
Saw your "to do" list..
"Cubemaps" needs some serious looking at..
I briefly looked at trunk matters, but each time I do, something else comes up.. well..

My main philosophy is to write for "latest complete released Irrlicht" versions so other can try it..
(so I can get feedback on errors)
I just don't have the "dark art" knowledge to play around with the engine itself

Got Tortoise SVN etc, so time will tell.. Cheers!

Oh, and congrats on becoming a core member! 8)
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I should stop reading at night and totally missing the point in topics before i get "fired" ^^ XD

Btw, where is the official todolist? I searched it few times and came to the conclusion there was not a todolist, and now you mention there's a cubemap listed somewhere :mrgreen:
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

The way I understand it "Open Discussions and Dev announcements" is as close a home for
to a "To do" list as there is.
So someone could simply add a topic under that forum titled, "Official To Do List".

Or even better..
The Irrlicht project page could also be a good place for this..
Just add it to the menu as shown.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Reason why there is no todo-list is that everyone does what he wants to do (or needs to do) anyway. Thought we got an inofficial list of stuff needed for 1.9 (which rarely updates as I usually get enoug side-stuff every week to keep me busy).

I got a todo-list (a simply .txt file), but it changes constantly and I sometimes give up on tasks or move them around or change them or regroup them or stuff is outdated and shouldn't be there anymore and so on. Not public so far because I often just write stupid reminders in there ;-) (or copy local paths or mention some half-assed ideas, etc)
I guess I could put it into some source-controls and push it online once in a while (and put the stupid reminders maybe in some other text-file, thought means having one more file open in texteditor constantly...).
Bugtracker for todo's doesn't really work for me (tried that ad also tried personal wiki in the past - but there's really nothing that beats .txt).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm