Path finding with edge detection and ray casting

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Nyx Erebos

Path finding with edge detection and ray casting

Post by Nyx Erebos »

I wrote a pathfinding algorithm which uses edge detection and ray casting. It's quite simple so I tried to explain it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcY0IoOWiA. I guess I'm not the first to come up with something that looks like this but I couldn't find anything on google. Let me know what you think :)
thanhle

Re: Path finding with edge detection and ray casting

Post by thanhle »

Have you benchmark this algorithm against A*?
A* can do collision avoidance.
Nyx Erebos

Post by Nyx Erebos »

Not yet because I made it with C# and I'd rather code it again in C++ before doing some benchmarks (with C++ I can do some optimization and I already have an A*).
thanhle

Post by thanhle »

Notice in the video. The path is not optimal for example 1. But this seems to be good for robotic application if you have a limited obstacle range sensor on the robot.

Regards
Thanh
Nyx Erebos

Post by Nyx Erebos »

Yes I know, for now it's only the basic algorithm, there are improvements possible. On the top of my head, when I see how it behaves with different shapes I could try to cast a ray between each pair of the path's nodes and if there aren't any obstacles, delete the nodes inbetween.