OpenGL FPS Camera

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Alpha Omega

OpenGL FPS Camera

Post by Alpha Omega »

I am trying to make a FPS camera class that works well with Irrlicht and uses a ton of OGL4.0 calls using shaders. The class is based off Quaternion rotation and I simple transform the normalized view direction by the axis and angle.

I got it working except for one thing that I can't understand.

When I rotate my camera the scene rotates instead of rotating the "camera" around its axis. I basically am orbiting my scene instead of looking around in the scene.

Technically, it shouldn't be doing this.

In my vertex shader, I am using three matrices for the MVP matrix example.. (new_coords = P*V*M*coords;)

This shouldn't cause any problem. I use my own implementation of GLuLookat which combines a rotation and translation together. (V = R*T) (R is the Glulookat Matrix and translation is the transformation(-eye))

M is IDENTITY and P is the generic Projection matrix.

My googling says that in order to rotate a scene as I have described you must...

Translate(-eye)
Rotate
Translate(eye)

I am only doing one translation. Does anyone have any idea where I am making a fault?

Sincerely,

Alpha
Alpha Omega

Re: OpenGL FPS Camera

Post by Alpha Omega »

Lesson learned: always make sure your matrix methods use column major multiplication for OpenGL :). That took too much time to find :P.