Can 2 different drivers be used in the same application?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
gauravjha

Can 2 different drivers be used in the same application?

Post by gauravjha »

Hi,

I am building an application which will use both 2D and 3D graphics, on WINCE device.

EDT_SOFTWARE does not produce good 3D rendering. EDT_BURNINGSVIDEO does not render 2D graphics.

Please suggest how can I use both drivers in the same application?

Also, I tried to use the OpenGL ES driver using the details from SVN, but the Irrlicht_Mobile6.sln had a lot of build errors?

Can a clean solution be provided to use OGLES2.0 for use in CE device?

Regards,
Gaurav Jha
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Can 2 different drivers be used in the same application?

Post by Mel »

You may create as many software based devices you want. Preferably the Burnings Video, because it is not true it cannot handle 2D graphics. The only limit is the amount of processing power they require, for applications that don't eat much processing power, or using a simpler configuration which disables bilinear filtering, it is a very good device.

And yes, you may have a hardware based together with a software based, (tested) because they are independent, and what happens in one, doesn't affect the other. Although, i can't really tell if you can create a DX and a GL device at the same time, but i think it is advisable not to do so.

What i have noticed, though, is that i have created an application with 2 devices, a burnings video just for a splash screen, and the other that is created while the splash is showing. When it is done, i drop the software device (suposedly releasing all its resources), but its window doesn't disappear... is there a way to change that?
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Marthog

Re: Can 2 different drivers be used in the same application?

Post by Marthog »

Is there any reason why both drivers should be different?
I think you can use two OpenGL drivers at the same time, at least the OpenGL specification says that multile contexts are possible and I don't think that Irrlicht has problems with it.

I think you can also use OpenGL and DirectX because there is no real difference between two processes using OpenGL and DirectX and one process which uses both.
Mel wrote:What i have noticed, though, is that i have created an application with 2 devices, a burnings video just for a splash screen, and the other that is created while the splash is showing. When it is done, i drop the software device (suposedly releasing all its resources), but its window doesn't disappear... is there a way to change that?
I think that is a bug in Irrlicht. Try to get the window handle and then manually destroy it with DestroyWindow or other OS specific functions.
Rust fanboy