Bones problem in .x format

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
ichtyander

Bones problem in .x format

Post by ichtyander »

Greetings!

I'm working on a project that needs some simple animated characters. We have an animator that works in Maya 2010 and 2013 and I am doing scene modeling in 3ds Max 2012. The requirement is to make a workflow, getting an animated character from Maya to Irrlicht in the .x format. I should point out that I'm not really experienced in working in Maya nor doing animation of any kind so I can only relay what our animator says about the subject.

After numerous attempts to make a good exporting workflow, we tried exporting from Maya to FBX, then importing to Max (and directly to Fragmotion), exporting to .x, .b3d and .ms3d but the results were always problematic, glitchy movement, lots of trouble with making baked animation (the .x exported model isn't animated etc). The last thing we tried was using Maya 2013 to transfer to Max 2013 via direct connect. Then saving the mesh to a Max 2012 format (because of the Panda .x exporter), exporting to .x from Max 2012, then loading it in Fragmotion to check out how the .x file turned out. This seems to work very well, however there's a very weird issue. Our animator took one of our existing character meshes that was already bone rigged, made a little walking animation and we did the whole exporting procedure. The result was ok, the mesh was upside down and scaled in fragmotion (.x) but after flipping it, it was ok.

But when she took another character (all character look the same btw, they have the same mesh appearance) with an identically rigged bone structure, exported to .x and we get this:

Here's how it looks animated:

The mesh is way out of place, not centered and gets deformed in animation. Now, I can move the mesh in an approximate location to the bones, but that's not really a solution. The floating flat polys above the character's head are used for eyebrows, eyes and mouth animation and are also very misaligned. I should mention that loading this .x mesh directly into Irrlicht gives the same results as in Fragmotion.

The weird thing is that every character our animator creates, makes a completely new bone structure and re-rigs it, it always turns out this like this, with misaligned mesh. Also, we tried to use the bones of the "good" character and rig them onto the mesh of the "bad" character and we still get the misaligned result. However, that first, "good" mesh and bones are pretty much perfect when exported, and we just can't figure out why that is. We can use this "good" character for the time being, for testing animation etc. but it's in no way a solution as any new rigged character, rigged and made in the exact same procedure as the "good" one gives us a misaligned result.

We've tried just about any combination of exporting options with no success. We even tried exporting one scene with both of the meshes, the good and the bad one together, side by side, and the good one is still ok while the other gets this misaligned bone-mesh result, even when tampering with every combination of exporting options in the Panda .x exporter. So this leads me to believe that there is some difference in the very meshes used but we don't know what this difference is.

I've also found this topic http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =1&t=44841 where a user suggests deleting history and freeze transformations and our animator was doing this the whole time in all our tests, but this problem still persists.

Has anyone had similar problems or maybe has some idea why such a misalignment can happen? It's obvious that there is a way of getting a good result as the first mesh has perfect bone alignment and animation.
Thanks.
MrGuy

Re: Bones problem in .x format

Post by MrGuy »

Just by looking on the images i would say your Pivotpoints are wrong.
Pivot point of mesh and rig on the same spot: Alllll right.
Pivot point of mesh and rig on different spots: SPLATTER SPLASH BOOM DIVISION BY ZERO DOOMSDAY. Looks exactly like the problem you got.

( Im not quite expereienced with this sort of stuff tho. It may be a completely different reason. But i am working in blender right now and that was a problem i got a few days ago... So i thought i might share my thoughts and the worst that could happen would be me failing around... :P )
markmze

Post by markmze »

Try by setting x/y/z position of your bones to 0. Admitting this is the position of your mesh.
Or find a way to put the original position of your bones to fit to your mesh.
This worked for me
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Hi,
This is a Panda exporter problem by my opinion. If you have not any time for loose /like me/ , download kwxport plugin, select your rigged node in 3dsmax and choose export selection.
I tried it today with biped and skin modifier and works perfect.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
ichtyander

Post by ichtyander »

Thanks to everyone for their replies. We've shifted focus on other parts of the project so this problem has been on hold, but I'll be returning to it very soon.