Problems with UV maps in obj file format

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
ibax

Problems with UV maps in obj file format

Post by ibax »

Hello,

My model contains objects -> textures -> UV maps (model in maya, uvmap name is the default: map1, there is only one uvmap attached to one object).
My problem is after exporting the model to obj format. The export process is finished. I import the obj to irrEdit as OcTree, this is OK. The model in irrEdit looks good, the uv maps coordinates are there, so I think, the exported obj file contains the uv coordinates -> so I create an irr file with the OcTree.

The problem comes, when I load this irr file to irrlicht project. The uv map info disappears, the textures are mixed.

It can be some irrEdit -> irr file creating problem regarding to the lost uvmap info?

Pls help!
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Problems with UV maps in obj file format

Post by Mel »

As a general rule, these steps apply in most ocasions when it comes to UV mapping.

-Maybe they aren't on the right texture coordinates channel?
Use only the first one.

-Obj only supports 1 set of texture coordinates, don't use more than one, or else, the info may be ignored.
It is an OBJ limitation.

-Export to another format?
Perhaps .3DS? perhaps .X? the X format supports multiple texcoords via FVF and also supports smoothing groups, or how ever they are called in MAYA

-Check on other model viewers.
Maybe a bug in the exporter, a bug in the irrlicht importer... If other model viewers open it right, you could share the object so the Irr importer could be improved :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt