Blender >> .x >> Irrlicht

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
messy

Blender >> .x >> Irrlicht

Post by messy »

Hello,

i want use animated meshs in my project. For rigging I used Blender 2.61. I export my models with the DirectX exporter addon (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... X_Exporter). Then I import the .x-models in irrlicht and the result are terrible. What make I wrong? Here are pictures for blender model, ingame result and export options from blender. I try it with different export options, but the results are allways disturbed.
What tools for create/export/import animated mesh used their?

Blender:

Ingame:

Export Options:
hybrid
Admin

Re: Blender >> .x >> Irrlicht

Post by hybrid »

I guess you should also export animations. Also not sure about the armatures settings. Try the forum search, there should be some guidance on what choices are best here.
messy

Post by messy »

Mhh... Export animation doesn't work. It moves nothing.
I don't find a guidance (am I dumb?). But as a student I can use 3D Max freely and I will try it with this program.
pera

Post by pera »

I also want to make simple animation in Blender then export to .X and load in irrlicht.
When I say simple, it doesn't have to be skin and bones, only one animation set, just rotating one part of the model in the loop.
How do I animate in Blender to be able to export animation to irrlicht successfully?
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

bake the animation
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

I'm Also going nuts about irrlichts lack of animation support in its animation formats.
In Blender I can have animation 'actions' basically my animation groups (Example Run, Idle, jump etc) But getting these into irrlicht is a massive issue! All the formats irrlicht supports for skeletal animation, don't have the possibility to just call an animation group by name as md2 can, which can only do morph frames.
Either I always have to bake my animations into one massive long animation and note down the transition frames(Which is always easy to mess up) and then make a custon xml for every animated mesh I want to load, or I have to do it in code which is even worse. Can't we get just one format that actually works? We've got .irrmesh, pc0de has made a very good .irrbmesh already (binary mesh). Now we just need a .irramesh for animations which he has also half made already, unfortunately it can only load bone positions(skeleton) and skin weights so far, not actual animated bone positions.

What do you think we can do about it?
(Maybe not the right post for this)
fmx

Post by fmx »

Even if .irrbmesh or .irramesh formats get fully implemented into irrlicht, how will that make a difference to how animated data gets exported OUT from Blender?
Looks like what you're really asking for is a new plugin or format for Blender which irrlicht can use

How's Collada and FBX support coming along in irrlicht?
I've been away from the forums for a while so I haven't been keeping up

IMO if irrlicht can deal with animation support from collada DAE files that might help Blender users in the short term
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Collada is quite buggy at the moment, yes you can load static scenes with it but, armature animation is about the same as 'non-functional'. FBX also only has static meshes and isn't officially supported, only available in irrext repo.
Irrbmesh and irramesh are actually supported by pc0de's irrb Blender exporter (as in IrrBlender exporter) that handles entire scenes about the same as irrEdit would. Also exporting any userdata to the irr file and supplying the irrlicht mesh loader add-ons(just scratch through his repository ;) )
So no, I'm not asking for a new plugin actually. It is just that a serious stopping point for potential large scale irrlicht game projects is the lack of some asset pipeline from modelling tools to engine, where features are mirrored across. Not everyone wants to first write a whole new system to just load working mesh & animation data.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Collada animation patch is not yet included, just haven't found the time for it so far (there's always more urgent problems...).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

IIRC, the collada animator patch wasn't working at all, and I never got any replies from the author. So probably not in the near future.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Ah, so you looked at it already? I've just sitting it in my inbox so far... but I'm currently working on Collada (although on export) because I need some more stuff for my day-job (exporting nodes with different materials but same mesh). So maybe I can take a look at it when I'm done with that and still remember parts of the collada-format (that format is so complicated... I have to work myself into it each time I do something - and stay puzzled half the time even with documentation in front of me - and still haven't even found a viewer really supporting everything from it).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm