Interesting 3D images and videos (Not necesarilly Irrlicht)

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Ok, I hate to double-post, but I've updated the scene a bit, you can now clearly see the colored spheres 'reflecting' onto the floor

I tweaked the effect to be rather subtle, if the effect comes off too strong it looks fake
I re-ordered my G-buffer today as well, packed normals into 2 16-bit floating point channels instead of 3 so I had an additional channel to correctly tweak my fresnel approximation
I tried using the approach used in CryEngine3 by using spheremapping, but it gave me some artifacts, so I went with the good ol' traditional method; I'll figure out what was wrong with my implementation of the other technique later
Needless to say I officially wrecked all my previous engine demos by doing this, but it's best to get it out of the way now while I'm not doing any complex projects
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I just finished updating my 'islands' tech demo so it's compatible with the updated lighting pipeline

Here's a video in full 720p glory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpuQJ9QVBl0

EDIT:

As a comparison, here's the same demo with the old lighting pipeline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahj4T5s5TIk
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Really good, but why is everyone doing eye candy stuff lately? :o
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

ent1ty wrote:Really good, but why is everyone doing eye candy stuff lately? :o
Because eye-candy is awesome :D

I wouldn't classify what I'm doing as eye-candy though, I just want to have a solid, stable and flexible lighting pipeline which can be used in various scenes before I continue developing other systems
Radikalizm

Re: Interesting 3D images and videos (Not necesarilly Irrlic

Post by Radikalizm »

I've been working on a major material system overhaul in a separate research branch of my engine
My major concern was the problem with material flexibility in a deferred pipeline; I've decided to implement an approach similar to DICE's approach in the frostbite 2 engine, which uses an intricate system of renderstates at a low level to handle material flexibility among other things

The system isn't fully implemented yet, but I can already get some nice results; I've implemented a good amount of lighting models (details here: http://rainware.org/media.php?level=picture&id=24 ), and this is a screenshot of the well-known sponza atrium scene using an Oren-Nayar based material:

This scene has 21 active dynamic lights, with 1 light casting shadows; SSAO and very subtle SSGI have been added as post-processing effects (I'm getting 80FPS @1280x720 on a single GPU and around 110-120FPS @1280x720 with a dual-GPU crossfirex setup)

The coming weeks/months are going to be pretty exciting, since the rainware team is in the pre-production stage of a new game project and since the engine is advancing really fast :D
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I think I'm kind of hijacking this thread...

Crytek's sponza atrium scene at 1920x1080 with 41 active dynamic lights, just because I can
I'm doing some heavy engine benchmarking and profiling atm, so that mere 19FPS in the upper left corner (max FPS: 25) will go up quite a bit once I've done my optimizations

This scene uses only blinn-phong (with fresnel taken into account) and oren-nayar materials; I'm still working on getting the scene right, and on getting my asset builder to correctly build native material types from 'foreign' mesh/material formats
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread once again

I've pushed about 200 small point lights through my recently updated physics subsystem giving this result
This runs at about 25-30 fps at highly dynamic moments (ie. all 200 lights/bodies active) on mid-range hardware

EDIT:

I ramped this up to about 1000 lights (disabled debug visualization too):

This gets to a bottom of 8 FPS on the same hardware used for the screenshot above
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Love your work! You might have yourself a First Class Engine there!
One Thousand lights at 8FPS is really impressive! :D
(CryEngine 3 can't do that very well)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

ACE247 wrote:Love your work! You might have yourself a First Class Engine there!
One Thousand lights at 8FPS is really impressive! :D
(CryEngine 3 can't do that very well)
Well you have to know that this is a rather small scene without any additional animation, AI, etc. so the framerate would drop even more with all of that enabled
But 1000 lights is just a ridiculous amount, and I couldn't imagine it being used in any real setting, so I think I'm good here :D
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

I'm a bit of a Charlie Chaplin fan, but I've never come across that speech of his really. :?
Awesome nonetheless, the man knew and spoke his mind.

Oh wait... what does it have to do with 3D Images and Videos? :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, was also my question. Maybe interpreted as ((3d image) AND video) ?! If I should move this part to the tapeworm thread or so, just PM me...
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Time for yet another hijack!

Warning: 1920x1080 render ahead

This is a testing scene I'm working on to improve my engine for larger environments and advanced lighting techniques. I'm still in the process of building the individual models and fleshing out the scene, so nothing really amazing here technologically, but I thought it looked nice already

I've applied tonemapping, bloom, SSAO, very subtle depth of field, 2 lights with 1 of them casting shadows and some extremely subtle color correction to give it that little bit extra
I'll probably try to add more diversity in the buildings to make it look less like they were copy-pasted and some smaller details like plants, etc.

Once it's finished I'm going to give Crytek's light propagation volumes technique for global illumination a go, right now I have support for precomputed radiance transfer to do my GI (not seen in this shot because of the long pre-processing time) but I'll probably be ditching it for something more flexible
fmx

Post by fmx »

Very nice, cant wait to see what games you make using your engine :)