Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

Go Ahead or Terminate?

Go
99%
No
1%

Total votes: 71

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Just downloaded the file, 47 Mb.

Will let you know how it went later.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok i found out why the normal maps were really saturating... the normlisation in gimp doesnt actually normalise in the sense of making the rgb channel magnitude = 1, I had some pixels in the normal map that were almost white. :shock:, i guess thats something to add to the fix list.

Edit: just manged to replicate crazy bumps shape detection feature, hehe. I guess thats another thing to add to the script.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok i will remove the download link by friday because the old version has a lot of missing features/not working ones and i dont want it spreading. Can the people the people that have downloaded it give some feedback :wink: (Im looking for neagtive feedback btw)

Here is a comparision with some new fixes (i set shape detection to the max on the new one, it gives a nice light dependent self shadowing effect during rendering)

old:
new:

One question i would like to ask before starting work on this feature. Do you think realtime tweaking of the paramters in the viewer would be useful? This will complicate the script and the viewer so i dont want to embark on it if its useless.

ps:new fixes are not in the download.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

I stopped trying to install it because I found the installer horribly bloated.

I did not want to reinstall gimp, or python, or almost every extra dependency you had packed in there. Please have at least an option next time to not install certain things.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Ya, that installer made me feel like I was on Linux!

It seems to me to have too much contrast. Like the valleys in the texture are too dark (so in the default texture, the green grass cannot easily be seen) while the rock hills are much brighter.

So could this different in brightness somehow be adjustable? So the normal mapping can be made more subtle!?

I don't know if this makes sense, I don't know much about normal mapping :)

Anyway it does already seem very cool and useful. Especially with the viewer being Irrlicht! Keep it up!! 8)
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Thanks for testing guys.

xDan yes you are correct, its a bit too much. To make it less dark reduce the depth value. Also the scene is pretty dark with a low diffuse light, maybe i should increase the diffuse.

As for the installer i could look into automatic installs for the extra packages, if you dont want to reintsall(if they are not installed you need them) them just cancel them, but gimp needs to be reinstalled (it doesnt erase your settings, just adds the python module).
"Irrlicht is obese"

xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

I did try reducing the depth a little... down to 5.

Now I tried it right down at 2. And yes, wow, that is a lot better :) Really really awesome in fact. Still a little dark though, but when the moving light passes close it looks really good.

I can imagine using this in some projects. I just hope it remains free (or at least cheap!) :P
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

it would be nice to have batch processing in there. For example, heightmaps can be batched in one group while normalmaps can be done in another. That means some kind of filename conventions must be implemented so the workflow from art development to game rendering is done through batch processing.

Personally, I would like the tool to be used inside the game engine, so I can process diffuse files on-the-fly. That would be awesome.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Batch processing is already there in the bad version. I have completed the new changes and made the script better, i will release this version before i start work on the viewer to make it edit the settings interactively like crazy bump.
"Irrlicht is obese"

omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ind45ovod ... neBump.exe

Here is a installer that will upgrade your old install to the new code. (71kb)
"Irrlicht is obese"

lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

ok, I cant even find it...
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Im making it so you can use it without starting gimp, i also offloaded some of the mixing to be one on the gpu so you can tweak the settings in realtime (some not all)

Hopefully this will be easier to use than the previous versions when its done.
"Irrlicht is obese"

night_hawk

Post by night_hawk »

Awesome! Keep up the good work!
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

wow...this is cool.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Is there any update or new download on this?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.