What modeler do you use?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

What modeler do you use?

3D Studio Max
23%
Blender
44%
LightWave
2%
Maya
2%
MilkShape 3D
12%
ZBrush
No votes
Anim8or
5%
Wings 3D
9%
Art of Illusion
2%

Total votes: 43

vermeer

Post by vermeer »

i checked google.. that x exporter with dirty hack doesnt work well,
No...remember: I told you ;)
there were problems with animations (as usual...). sio2 managed to load doom3 model (md5) with irrlicht, check his demo

didnt know...so..is really possible it be added after animation revamp of Luke... Nice...

md2 loader here and here.
md2 works well from blender. But i dislike a bit the format.Some ppl use it for RTS with clever handling of it.
I found out that there exist md5 importer and exporter for blender
There's:

-md5 der_ton exporter for blender. Works like magic, just add the texture name in shader place of that exported ascii file (md5mesh)
My by far most pleasant experience exporting something with weights and bones from ANY package, and I use a few of them... Really sweet in blender...Great thing for animated characters... I havent tested his blender importer

-md5 exporter for gmax by Berseker.

-for maya(like xsi, really a game doom importer), xsi, etc

-importer for max (der_ton again).Exporters for Max from Der_ton and beseker.

The blender one I tested well, worked really sweet. Max checked during certain job. had to dig it a bit more, but worked.

but havent tested them yet. Maybe this model support will change our lives huh? Smile
To export animated characters from Blender..? YEAH. maybe from max or Ultimate Unwrap, is less painful b3d. And surely b3d plugin will be also amazing to have in Blender.
It happily exports to MD3.
yeah, forgot it and...that there was a patch for md3 loading here, dunno if is already "native", as I dont use the engine.

Oh, btw...hmmm..dont use the tempest one..had a prob with normals and dunno what, but also, that script could not be used comercially, while Chris cookson's script can be :

http://pages.videotron.com/browser/

(look for md3 gmax exporter beta or something)

Still, for seams in uv islands, precission, limits, normal maps, and for being in blender a bit weak,(I know, we talk bout gmax) that export, by all means, md5 is way better and some years more modern...)

From gmax, yep, is better expot than blender, in md3 matters...But i'd use md5 instead, when possible in irrlicht :

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... sc&start=0
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

vermeer wrote:
md2 loader here and here.
md2 works well from blender. But i dislike a bit the format.Some ppl use it for RTS with clever handling of it.
Oh sorry, i meant md5, not md2. While writing i must have been thinking about girls... :lol:
liger13

Post by liger13 »

lol, im the only one who uses maya :)....
i like it cause it rather fluid for me and thats were i learned so :)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Next year I am going to enter a college. They teach Maya... :D
I think more people are using 3dsmax than maya is because of the interface...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

maya and max, both are extremely good. Ive handled a bit Maya. A lot Max.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Georgian

Post by Georgian »

I use 3Dmax 7 mainly and Maya a little bit. I am not a master in any of those just doing it in free time and if i have a lot of it i learn poser i really like its easy for animation :)
using Visual Studio 2003 , I use 3D Max 7, I love irrlicht its a really good and easy engine
Donner

Post by Donner »

I miss the option "Cinema4D", because I use it...
fukuda

Post by fukuda »

I use 3DS Max :wink: