human skin shader

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Virion
Competition winner

human skin shader

Post by Virion »

belfegor

Post by belfegor »

Looks great on pictures.Maybie i could manage to try it with irrlicht.
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Sure looks good, his artwork is also amazing. I havent looked at his code much, but looking at the pic with the lighting coming from the inside of the model means he must be doing lighting calculations using both front face normals and then he makes backwards normals and useses them to predict 'inside' lighting. Hehe that stuff inspired me. He said that the shader cant diffrentiate between diffrent thickness's in flesh and thus light attenuation is only based on distance.

Maybe if we invert the normals of the model (make face look inwards) then do some ambient occlusion (bake to a texture and use it as a scalar for the 'inside' lighting) we can get thickness data for closed objects, scaling the insid elighting bythis texture will simulate attenuation by flesh thickness.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p