Hidden Surface Removal Algorithms

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Virion
Competition winner

Hidden Surface Removal Algorithms

Post by Virion »

This might be useful for developers.
http://www.ibiblio.org/e-notes/3Dapp/Hidden.htm
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

And this is a paper written by University of Virginia about Hidden Surface Removal.
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~gfx/courses ... hidden.pdf
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Last edited by Virion on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frodenius

Post by Frodenius »

ahem ahem this is devmaster or not??
worst programming style ever seen...
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

The 6DX Engine has a portal renderer but I haven't got round to porting it (sic) to Irrlicht yet. I'd probably just implement it from scratch using Irrlicht math classes anyway; build Irrlicht frustums from portal quads and use Irrlicht to reject stuff out the frustum (which Irrlicht is designed to do anyway).

Also, it's a pity that the PVS in Quake3 maps is currently just thrown away when loaded by Irrlicht. Note that if you build an octree, the worst-case scenario is to render the entire level. Then again, in a test I did with IrrSpintz I loaded the Quake3 level into a static VB (vertex buffer in gpu mem), rendered the lot every frame and it was still quicker than vanilla Irrlicht+octree.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Frodenius wrote:ahem ahem this is devmaster or not??
opps :oops:

By the way I have a question which I wanted to ask long time ago.
Why don't the owner of Irrspintz join the irr dev team to improve the vanilla irrlicht? Besides doing his own version of irrlicht...
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

devmaster as a link to "Aztica 6DX" in the Portal section of "3D Engines". The aztica.com site is dead as the original developer left for RL. He made me an admin on sourceforge before disappearing so you can get the source from there.

Virion mentioned in another thread that Irrlicht could do with some PVS and I couldn't agree more. Apart from frustum culling and octtrees I don't think there's anything else already in there for decent PVS.

When I get time I'll look at at making a 6DX scene node to load 6dx maps. These maps use portals and can be made with Quark. I used Quark heavily a few years ago and it's a very good map-making tool. Plus it's open source.
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Virion wrote:Why don't the owner of Irrspintz join the irr dev team to improve the vanilla irrlicht?
You'll have to ask Spintz that for a definitive answer. I myself think there's a "divergence of priorities".
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

divergence of priorities
Best way to put it in so few words. And so PC as well....I like it....:D

Sig change coming.......