updating Jirr

Discussion about Irrlicht's Java wrapper
loki1985

updating Jirr

Post by loki1985 »

hi guys.

i think jirr is the best and easiest-to-use java binding for irrlicht. but since it stopped with 1.4.2 (IIRC), i am missing a lot of the improvements and features of the new versions.

i think coding irrlicht prototypes (or even complete apps) in java is a lot easier and thus faster, since e.g. strings are more intuitive, small things can be handled by the GC, and some more...

i am planning to look into re-creating jirr with a more current version (svn probably), but i would like the team to consider integrating the result (if usable) into the repository, under the condition that it can be automated mostly (the not-automated part could be written to a guide for manual processing). i think that way we would not have the situation again like we currently have with jirr...
javaman44

Post by javaman44 »

I was wondering if you were still working on a new version or not. I can't help, but I'm interested in using IRRLICHT. I could do some testing also.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

well, the only thing i did was looking into the svn version of jirr, the interface files etc. jirr is absolutely not easy to achieve, the interface file is quite big and has quite some special rules implemented....

if jirr can be re-created, doing it from scratch would be quite an amount of work, so anyone trying is advised to improve on the current SVN version. sadly, i don't have enough time for this at the moment...
javaman44

Post by javaman44 »

Ok, yah I would imagine binding C++ to Java would be complex with many rules. From the little C that I read on, I remember thinking, "Wow with Java all you have to do is build. There are so many other things to think about in C!!!"

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe when I get to Ohio University's Athens campus I'll have to work on some programming project, and I'll build a up-to-date cross-platform Jirr--with native libs if Mac in the download. :D :D But, then again I have to survive my freshman year first ;)

Thanks!
bucket.size

Post by bucket.size »

I just came to jirr, I'd like to get jirr for the latest Irrlicht or the SVN, but rather I'd be better to focus efforts to bring the most stable release to jirr.

we'd have to redo a lot as the code/interface changes, for most it would be annoying.

with release we'd have a common thing to work on and solve.

I can spend as much time on this as my after hours permit.... :P

SSG

Post by SSG »

Has anyone thought of doing a Java port of Irrlicht instead of just making the bindings? It would be missing a couple of things, such as a Direct3D renderer.
Josh1billion

Post by Josh1billion »

Old topic, but I'd just like to say that it would be awesome if someone were to update Jirr (or port it). :)
www.JoshForde.com

Latest release: Super Orbulite World.
In development: Season of Dreams and others
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

I just started studying (again) and of course we use Java, so I would also really be delighted if someone would update JIRR a little.

plz...
thx...
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

Actually I finished the JIRR thing of the irrSolarSystem thing, because I had to... quite painless after all, except it only runs on windows.

if anyone is interested, it will probably be the last thing I ever do with JIRR

A SHAME... :roll: I love Irrlicht, but JIRR is really a sad part of this love...
currently really looking into jmonkeyengine

http://tobi.houfek.de/orbitSim.zip
back in the days...