Jirr vs. Bindenlicht vs. JME - Which for Applets?

Discussion about Irrlicht's Java wrapper
CBaroX

Jirr vs. Bindenlicht vs. JME - Which for Applets?

Post by CBaroX »

Hi, this is my first message in the forum but I've been using c++ and Irrlicht for about a year now and some questions. I'm going to be writing physics applets for school that need to be 3D. I was planning on using JME for it but is there any advantages to using Irrlicht over JME despite some experience? Should I use Bindenlicht or Jirr? and lastly, what do I need to make them work in a web browser (HTML wise)? Any help would be immensely appreciated.
This is my signature
SSG

Post by SSG »

Jirr
  • Pros:
    • Memory allocations happen on the native side, so the applet heap size limit isn't as big an issue as it would be for jME.
    • Irrlicht is easier to use than jME, especially if you already have Irrlicht experience.
    • Unlike jME your users have a choice of renderers.
  • Cons:
    • Still version 1.4.2.
    • Jirr's community is less active than jME, unless you count the whole Irrlicht community.
Bindenlicht
  • Cons:
    • It's old and abandoned.
jMonkeyEgine
  • Pros:
    • Very active community.
    • Proven technology (better than Java3D).
    • Some boilerplate code already done for you.
    • Good applet examples.
  • Cons:
    • Infrequent updates.
    • More memory allocated on the Java side, so applet heap limits become an issue.
If you're not afraid of C++, you might also want to investigate writing a C++ application that targets a win32 handle and googling for native applet wrappers. There must be plenty of examples for that.

On the subject of Jirr, I'm actually in the process of embedding Irrlicht 1.5 into a game editor based on the NetBeans platform. If I go too far with it, I'll end up coding Jirr 1.5!
CBaroX

Post by CBaroX »

Thank you very much for your reply, I've been writing exams and have just looked at it now. Very nice overview and descriptions, I'll have to see how much ram it's going to use and how much I can figure out with JME. Thank you for your reply
This is my signature
ReLaMpAgO

G3D vs JIRR ?... and the others ...

Post by ReLaMpAgO »

and what do you think about G3D for Java by Michael Hedenus ?

http://g3d-cpp.sourceforge.net/
http://www.hedenus.de/g3d/index.html
SSG

Post by SSG »

I think the licence stinks. It actually prevents you from fixing any bugs. It would be nice to keep it BSD like G3D.
bucket.size

Post by bucket.size »

SSG wrote: On the subject of Jirr, I'm actually in the process of embedding Irrlicht 1.5 into a game editor based on the NetBeans platform. If I go too far with it, I'll end up coding Jirr 1.5!
Hi, were you able to embed irrlicht 1.5?

I'm trying to generate wrappers for irrlicht-1.6 with swig, could sure use some help.

How are you doing it?
Vox

Post by Vox »

http://dzzd.net/

Hardware accelerated, pure Java, no plug-in required

Software mode works without any other requirement than Java 1.1