Screenshot of the Month January 2010 [Winner announced!]

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Best screenshot January 2010

Poll ended at Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 pm

wing64 - Kentao
13%
Firgof - Planetary atmosphere
7%
eye776 - Planetary War Chronicles
No votes
devsh - GeometryShaders
7%
Mel - Olimpus Asteroid
73%
randomMesh - Game of Life
No votes

Total votes: 30

Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

Nice one Mel, wen i first looked at that image my first reaction was f**k that looks gd
"Hey Baby Wobbling Wobbling"
-Russell Peters
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

John Conway's Game of Life. In 3D!
This is a grid of 20*20*20 cells. No logic so far, just figuring out how to render so much cubes efficiently.

"Whoops..."
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

That game of life is great :) the only thing i see is that it is really complex to see what happens inside the cube!

And to think that game can be extended to 4 or 5 dimensions... How could those be represented? :P
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
r2d2

Post by r2d2 »

if you want a 4 dim representation you could take several such 3d blocks and put them next to each other, that shouldn't be much of a problem
R2D2's Irrlicht Mods
Messed up with my database so the page is not working at the moment -.-
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6700RAM: 4096 mb Graphics: Radeon 4850 512mb Sound: on board InternetConnection: DSL
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

Mel's pic clearly stands out for me
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ok, winner announced, Mel made it with a pretty outstanding way ahead. Congratulations!
Asimov

Re: Screenshot of the Month January 2010 [Winner announced!]

Post by Asimov »

Hi Mel,

That is a brillient scene in irrlicht. Didn't think it could handle something that size.
My only small critique is this. You have very bright sun light, which usually results in harsh shadows, other than that perfect.
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

You would be surprised what you can do with Irrlicht. Only problem I find is when you run into a problem sometimes it's hard to tell If you made a mistake or if it's a bug within Irrlicht.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Asimov wrote:Hi Mel,

That is a brillient scene in irrlicht. Didn't think it could handle something that size.
My only small critique is this. You have very bright sun light, which usually results in harsh shadows, other than that perfect.
In fact Irrlicht handles what your video card is able to handle on its own ;)

You'd be amazed of what irrlicht is really capable of, if well cared. In fact, the largest advantage of Irrlicht is this: It just abstracts the underlying API while it allows you to program just all what you think of on top of it. In general terms, it provides the imprescindible constructs for it to be much more a simplified video driver than an engine on its own. But it also adds aditional systems so Irrlicht can work like a basic engine while you polish your own code.

And don't be fooled, even if this could mean that programming directly GL/ES or DirectX is better, actually what most applications do is precisely to build a small set of tools to help them automate some tasks for the larger engine behind it, and that is what Irrlicht is. It is an API for the basic stuff and an engine for more advanced things which almost never restricts you to do something. There are missing features, indeed (cubemaps, texture arrays...) but even so can be built using basic functionalities of the engine. (texture atlases)

The limit is your video card, and your imagination, as they say.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt