Irrlicht In Motion Competition

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am

Yes
23%
No
47%
Maybe
31%

Total votes: 62

bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

If you're ready, send me a link to your submission by email (gaz@bitplane.net) :)
If you have nowhere to host it, I'll make a form on my website for submissions, which will upload via PHP to a private FTP somewhere. I'll do this sometime this weekend and update the first post
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Okay I have a big problem, I can't decide on what to make. I keep starting on a project.. then deleting it soon afterwards. I have no idea why. I usually come across something that's hard to implement and quit. :cry: I have to stick to my guns :lol:. But I just don't know. I doubt I'll get something done by the end of the competition. If I do, it would be something like a box, moving around. :?
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

twilight17 wrote:If I do, it would be something like a box, moving around.
You stole my idea! :evil:

:lol:
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

lol, :D - I have to think of something better :lol:
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Hey, I just have some questions about the irrKlang license. I'm assuming that the license being given is the irrKlang Pro Hobbyist license.

So basically my questions are, after reading the license, are we still held to one release of software that uses irrKlang Pro? We can't release the source code of our software that uses the irrKlang Pro, even if we eliminate all references to functions or files within irrKlang Pro? If I were to produce a sound rendering API (which I was already planning to do) could it be claimed that I have stolen source or borrowed ideas from the irrKlang source code? (To note, my API looks almost nothing like the irrKlang API.)
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Halifax wrote:Hey, I just have some questions about the irrKlang license. I'm assuming that the license being given is the irrKlang Pro Hobbyist license.

So basically my questions are, after reading the license, are we still held to one release of software that uses irrKlang Pro?
I think it was Niko's intention to award irrKlang Pro Full licenses, which means you're limited to one commercial release. If you ask him nicely he might give you a choice between full and indie licenses though.
Halifax wrote:We can't release the source code of our software that uses the irrKlang Pro, even if we eliminate all references to functions or files within irrKlang Pro?
You can release your source, but you can't distribute the irrKlang library or headers without consent. The only differences between irrKlang Pro/Free are your permissions to use it commercially and to static link, so users of your open source can simply make do with the free version. You can static link and use it commercially but they can't unless they buy a pro license, and they have to download the free version from Ambiera themselves.
Halifax wrote:If I were to produce a sound rendering API (which I was already planning to do) could it be claimed that I have stolen source or borrowed ideas from the irrKlang source code? (To note, my API looks almost nothing like the irrKlang API.)
Inspiration doesn't constitute a derived work under copyright law, and you don't get the source anyway only the headers and lib/dll, so no problems there :)
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Oh okay, thanks for the responses bitplane. They provided with the information I needed.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

I won't be entering. You can subtract 1 from the total.
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Fun.

Voted yes.
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Doesn't look like work is going to let up anytime soon. I won't be entering. ;)
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Pm'ed my entry to the judges. :D
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Strong99
Admin

Re: Irrlicht In Motion Competition

Post by Strong99 »

bitplane wrote:The deadline is Monday morning on the 12th of January.
When is this? I presume 12:00 pm GMT?
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

@bitplane when is the deadline exactly? Morning can mean anything... especialy when in a different timezone...

and means Monday morning the whole morning or the beginning of the morning around 6?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess he meant very early in the morning, i.e. the submission counter closes with the end of sunday. Still it's a question which timezone. But since we all work until first daylights usually, I'd say 12:00 GMT is a good compromise.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Yep, well, I can't organise anything until I get home from work on Monday evening GMT which will be almost afternoon even in Australia ;)

Submission form is now open, updating the first post-

http://dump.bitplane.net/temp/upload.php