Irrlicht In Motion Competition

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am

Yes
23%
No
47%
Maybe
31%

Total votes: 62

bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

3DModelerMan wrote:I know I'm going to enter :D (I need Irrklang). But I have one question.
Can this be made into like, an anual contest or something?.
If it's a success then we'll certainly have more in the future :)
joshcryer wrote:I have a C-style coding style, I know it's terribly evil, but would I be too punished for doing things that way? :)

I think I might enter anyway even if I'm destined to fail.
Depends which of the devs volunteer to be judges I suppose. I'm a C programmer myself so I won't judge you too harshly just for using a C programming style so long as it's fairly easy to read. Personally I'd really like to see some custom scene nodes or new algorithms that could be added to Irrlicht or the irrext project. But of course the end result is most important, something that looks cool and demonstrates motion :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

bitplane wrote:
JP wrote:Having said that if someone's good at modelling why should they be penalised by not being allowed to use their own models? (though i suppose if they made them freely available online that'd be fine!).
To clarify, by freely available we mean "released under an open content license", so either royalty free models from turbosquid, creative commons licensed media etc. This is mostly so that people can use parts of the finished demos in future works, so the whole community benefits from the contest. If you make your own models, music, textures etc, then it's completely fair to keep them secret until Sunday 11th of January ;)
That is what i meant, none the less :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
fmx

Post by fmx »

And a few questions regarding submitting entries (just for future reference, far too early to be submitting anything :P):

- Can we submit more than one demo / entry?

- Exactly how and where would we submit? Uploading it onto websites or mediafire/rapidshare/etc and posting the download links here, or directly emailing / PM-ing someone?

- Would the documentation also be put under the microscope (ie, affect the final verdict if it's, say for example, a simple 200 word text-file, instead of a nice-looking formatted PDF or something)?

Sorry for the overload of questions, but you can probably guess I'm eager to get started, and do well!
8)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

fmx wrote:And a few questions regarding submitting entries (just for future reference, far too early to be submitting anything :P):

- Can we submit more than one demo / entry?
Hmm.. I didn't even consider this. Probably not, but I will see what other people think.
fmx wrote: - Exactly how and where would we submit? Uploading it onto websites or mediafire/rapidshare/etc and posting the download links here, or directly emailing / PM-ing someone?
Around the deadline time, I'll provide an FTP accounts for everyone who would prefer that. I can also provide a one-click web host if needed :)
Otherwise just use your favourite one-click host (with minimal hoops to jump through if possible!)
fmx wrote: - Would the documentation also be put under the microscope (ie, affect the final verdict if it's, say for example, a simple 200 word text-file, instead of a nice-looking formatted PDF or something)?
A simple readme.txt with a brief description, who made it, what libs/graphics/other resources it uses, and how to get it running will do fine :)
fmx

Post by fmx »

that's cool, thanks :D

Allowing more than one entry per person/team wouldn't be fair for anyone, because there's only a "limited" amount of prizes and it might discourage new Irrlicht-users (or those without much time) to submit even a single entry.

I'm all for a "one entry per person / team" condition :)
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

this->wantsToRegister("Rocket Launchers project");
djoker

Post by djoker »

Delphi count?? :oops:
Never underestimate the power of Delphi....Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power...
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

djoker wrote:Delphi count?? :oops:
Yes, feel free to use Delphi, Irrlicht.Net, Jirr, or any other Irrlicht bindings for your favourite language. But please make sure your finished release comes with a win32 binary and contains a list of requirements in your docs.
DtD

Post by DtD »

Oh man, Tower Defense could really use that Irrklang license...and my music guy could use the money......we'll have to see if we can bake something up!

~DtD
3DModelerMan

cool

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I'm using a physics engine in mine. But I want to ask something, what exactly counts as "motion" I still need to figure out what to do and I need to know -- Is it just the dictionary definition?.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
bitplane
Admin

Re: cool

Post by bitplane »

3DModelerMan wrote:I'm using a physics engine in mine. But I want to ask something, what exactly counts as "motion" I still need to figure out what to do and I need to know -- Is it just the dictionary definition?.
Yes, anything that moves. So you can pick any topic that demonstrates some kind of movement, the more innovative and impressive the better!
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Should it be in the form of a playable game, or some kind of non-interactive demo (Think 64k).

I might just make some kind of scene that you can look around using the fps camera, with some kinda spline-camera intro show casing all the features.

PS, it would be cool to have a show of hands, on whos pretty set on doing this, maybe keep a list of willing participants on the first post? Purely for interests sake (Strokes shotgun)

*I'm in :D *
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

can we use custom scene node from irrext? or shader from xeffect? or do we have to code our own.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You can use anything with the proper license, but as bitplane mentioned, it would be nice if there is something to contribute to the community from your code.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Virion wrote:can we use custom scene node from irrext? or shader from xeffect? or do we have to code our own.
Use whatever external code and libraries you like, but the demo code (excluding libraries) must be Irrlicht license compatible.
BlindSide wrote:Should it be in the form of a playable game, or some kind of non-interactive demo (Think 64k).
I'd go for a demo if I were entering myself, making an actual game means spending time tuning the gameplay and writing a game engine instead of working on effects.
BlindSide wrote:I might just make some kind of scene that you can look around using the fps camera, with some kinda spline-camera intro show casing all the features.
Looking forward to it :)
BlindSide wrote:PS, it would be cool to have a show of hands, on whos pretty set on doing this, maybe keep a list of willing participants on the first post? Purely for interests sake (Strokes shotgun)

*I'm in :D *
Good idea, I'll also make this thread a poll..

Do we have any more definites?