Irrlicht In Motion Competition

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am

Yes
23%
No
47%
Maybe
31%

Total votes: 62

randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Just sent mine away.

Binary without source: Click

Source files: Click

I ever wanted to control a swarm of flies in a game. :p
Last edited by randomMesh on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fmx

Post by fmx »

phew! Just submitted mine now, with 30mins GMT time to go

great screenies/demos guys, they surely look a whole deal better than mine :oops:

Good luck everyone! :D
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

fmx wrote:phew! Just submitted mine now, with 30mins GMT time to go

great screenies/demos guys, they surely look a whole deal better than mine :oops:

Good luck everyone! :D
I don't think it uploaded, I can't see it in the FTP directory... Can you send me a link by email or something?
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
fmx

Post by fmx »

done and done.... me thinks
is it OK now?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Yep I've got it.
Also for anyone else who might have been punished by my crappy upload form, see the other announcement thread
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Wow impressive guys original and polished stuff. Looks like the compettion will be very close.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Those boids could be very good for racing game ai, the target would be the next part of the track while the boids code will give enough variety in the motions to prevent all the cars from hitting each other or finishing first every time.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

I submitted... 8)
Actually I'm quite happy about the motivation I had, no matter the outcome... Hope you guys like it.
Can I post a link to it here, or should I wait ?
EDIT:
Anyway... just in case that bitplane dump didn't work...
http://www.polymoon.org/tobi/privat/irrSolarSystem.zip
and now...
while(!asleep){sheep++}

EDIT2:
can't stop playing with it :) should be sleeping... drawing pirouettes around the sun... Bouncing from orbit to orbit around the solar system... This text that I found yesterday describes the gravity simulation pretty accurate actually...
from
The math needed to calculate accurately the motion of objects within a gravity field (in one, two or even three dimensions) is actually quite simple. We'll be using an iterative method to solve what's called the "two body" problem. We simplify the problem even further to assume the smaller particle has no effect on the black hole.

For each moment in time, we update each particle's position based on its current velocity vector. Next, we calculate the square of the distance between our particle and the black hole. We use this as the (possibly scaled) denominator of a gravity constant to find the force of gravity being felt by the particle, thus implementing the inverse-square-law of gravity (and most other forces). The particle's current velocity vector is then updated to include the force of gravity (the vectors are added together). Lastly, we trim a small amount of velocity away from each particle, in order to simulate a slow decay of the orbits.

This simple algorithm produces true orbital dynamics which subscribe to Kepler and Newton's laws, providing the particles don't approach the singularity too closely. As seen in the image above, the orbits are ellipses, as first realized by Johannes Kepler in the early 1600s after studying the orbits of the planets. Newton later came up with his law of universal gravitation, and showed that orbits can also be parabolic or hyperbolic. Both of the latter orbit forms are "open" (the particle escapes), and can appear in our simulation.
and from my readme:
Our Solarsystem is a vast place.
This model has proportional planets and orbits, but their distance to the sun is scaled by 1/100000. In reality those planets would be 100000x farther away...from here you wouldn't be able to see them, not even a pixel. Also the sun's radius is divided by 50. The planets masses, thus gravitational attractions are altered. Except for that, it's as real as it gets. The planets position is calculated by painfully hard maths (I really dont get it), and supposedly accurate for many centuries ahead, The gravitation simulation is somewhat simplified. The maths is painfully easy, even for me, but it obeys newtons laws.The distance you can read down-right is real, so is the speed.

W-A-S-D controls your craft...
W moves your ship straight up, S moves down,
A moves your ship left, D moves right,
think of them as thrusters in 2 axis, up-down, left-right.
It is important to understand that we're moving in zero G. That is nearly zero gravity, because right now...we are chaotically orbiting earth. The blue circle you can sometimes see is your flightmarker, if you look at it and press the left mouse button you will see we're accelerating !!! If you press the right-button your reverse thruster ignites, so it's a truely 3-dimensional movement, still unlike any aircraft you might have ever flown. It can get a little confusing, but you'll get used to it. Search for your flightmarker to understand your movement.

The easiest way to get into an orbit with a planet or the sun is keep looking at it and adjusting your ellipse and distance. Or just sit back and watch Keplerian dynamics unfold...
enjoy...
EDIT3:
Well... hmm I've been working alone on one system... runs smooth on my macbook and on my toshiba, also GL... Its just a core duo with nvidia go7600...
@tecan...
turn off all tangent meshs and normal maps and kick earth atmosphere... but you can't possibly

Code: Select all

scene::IBillboardSceneNode* earthBill = smgr->addBillboardSceneNode(0,core::dimension2df(80,80));
//	earthBill->setMaterialFlag(video::E_MATERIAL_FLAG::EMF_LIGHTING, false);
//	earthBill->setMaterialType(video::E_MATERIAL_TYPE::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR);
How's that going to look :roll:
Last edited by zillion42 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
miintz*

Post by miintz* »

that irrsolarsystem looks SEXY! innovative controls and nice planet mats!

i am getting rubbish fps tho but that could b my tesco value laptop :lol:
netpipe

cool

Post by netpipe »

This runs really really slow. nice code though ;)

http://rapidshare.com/files/182373613/i ... em.7z.html << opengl + cb files for linux
night_hawk

Post by night_hawk »

I'm not showing mine XD It's clearly sub-par.
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

I love the sound of irrSolarSystem cause it's from BladeRunner :D my fav -SciFi-Movie!
Controlling the Craft is really strange I think...but it's really nice altogether
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

"Irrlicht is obese"

MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

DUDE this is so fun!!!... I love it.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
IrrNoob

Post by IrrNoob »

I vote for zillion42's project, its top quality, what better way to display motion than with a simulation of satelite orbit. I hope this project is fully developed into a space game, it would be awesome.

omaremad's project won't download...