Irrlicht In Motion Competition

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am

Yes
23%
No
47%
Maybe
31%

Total votes: 62

Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I'm definitely entering. I'm just having a hard time coming up with an idea that's innovative enough. Everything appears to be "done". I guess that's one reason to be interested in this project.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

I'd allow multiple projects to be entered by one person as long as
a) they are different, not variations of the same thing
b) only one project per person/team can win

Because we all have a limited amount of time, anyone entering two or more is already dividing his time. Also, the more contributions to irrlicht, the better.
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

I'd like to enter but it depends if I can find enough time away from work to whip something up.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Ok i have a little problem here...som of my codebase is not compiling with visualstudio only with mingw. Is that a problem?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

It sounds too cool to pass..
I voted Maybe as it depends on how much free time I would have..

P.S
How about making a quick guide site introducing the competition and the exact rules and everything. Maybe in the IrrWiki?
I guess it would ease us looking for what is allowed and what isn't etc.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I voted maybe. I have an on-going project so I'm not sure if I can get enough time. Irrklang license is attractive though...
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Can modified irrlichts be used?

I have an idea... i hope i can enter.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

How much polish do the entries need? do they need startup screens option menus and other shiny but useless things? they would take time away from the innovation.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yeah! I hope omaremad enters.
Can modified irrlichts be used?

I have an idea... i hope i can enter.
As stated in the beginning of the thread it certainly can be used.
How much polish do the entries need? do they need startup screens option menus and other shiny but useless things? they would take time away from the innovation.
Seriously this is common sense, you can make it polished if you think that's a good use of your time for the competition. They will care more about the actual demo itself. But the demo could in itself be a menu, or a start up scene, theres alot of flexibility here.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Sudi wrote:Ok i have a little problem here...som of my codebase is not compiling with visualstudio only with mingw. Is that a problem?
No problem, but please provide a binary too.

I hope you enter Omar, can we expect some new shader effects? :D
Last edited by bitplane on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Pie21

Post by Pie21 »

Cool idea, but it's a shame I wouldn't even know where to start :P Maybe next time. Good luck to everyone else!
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Very cool! Wow!

I won't be able to participate, my C Coding is still horrible and I'm too busy at school in level design.

If BMF don't mind you could re-use the ships models from DIVUS Armada. (BMF was the programmer behind the project and I've done the modeling)

I also give you to use my Metro station level for your demos if you want to use it.

Here is the link to the level demo (All meshes are in B3D, textured and Lightmapped) http://clavet.org/Demo.zip

Here is the link to the DIVUS Armada game demo: http://bmf.veloren.com/files/DivusArmada.rar
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Oooooh, some incintive to actually creating something good. This is what I needed. Count me in. I look forward to doing some fun stuff ;) I may end up modifying Irrlicht to better support shaders in my favor ( just Direct3D 9 at that ), but that's questionable. Either way, I look forward to some competition :)
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

Great idea! Hope there will be more of these contests in the future.
Unfortunately I have no free time at the moment. This competition would have been a good possibility to deal with motion in irrlicht.

Anyway I look forward to the upcoming competition projects. Good luck to the developers! ;)
technoinside

Post by technoinside »

noobs accepted too?
:roll: