Newyears challenge 2006/2007

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March
sudi

Post by sudi »

Don't know if someone is interested but i think it's lmost done....
Download Page
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

pretty cool sudi

i'd make it so you can still move when out of energy
make you move faster and not have bullets collide
sudi

Post by sudi »

Hmmm....it was the intial idea so u have to be carefull with your energy.....and when the bullets don't collide u don't have any change at all cause then the enemy just beat the u up. This Way u can still survive. But i will think about the speed it's really slow.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Well the aliens can shoot your bullets too, so takes lots of bullets to kill aliens( have to shoot through their bullets then hit them 2x at least ). It's a challenge, I like it.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Spintz wrote:( have to shoot through their bullets then hit them 2x at least )
Not quite right....in the first level you have to hit the enemy once in the second u have to hit the first line once and the last 2 time in the 3third level 3 time and so on....i hope at least....but u can load up your gun and a big bullet is harder to stop than a smal one.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

cool game sudi,
i agree with spintz, the speed of the ship is a bit frustrating. other than that its pretty playable.

this challenge has been fairly successful so far, I think we should have more small game challenges in the future, if you're all up for making other small games that is.. I really enjoyed making mine, so I know I will be!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
sudi

Post by sudi »

Thanks for the comments spintz and bitplane
OK turned up the speed but now i think it's way to easy to get 6000 points....anyways i wanted to upload it but gdlib.net is down.
The next thing i will release is the source when I think it's ok to show you my crappy work...

Plans:
Adding a buy menu every 2 or 3 levels to get a new ship or weapon or more shield.....so basicly extras.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Its still pretty slow sudi, that ship looks like it can go alot faster :D

(PS: A neat idea ill be using is to warp ahead during levels, I think u shud use that in ur game rather then the aliens just popping up again.)

Btw guys, count me in. Expect a brandspanking SI edition of THERMAL at your doorstep soon. (With multiplayer play 8) )
sudi

Post by sudi »

I know that it's still slow......just as i said in my previous post i couldn't upoad it...anyways now it's out! Have fun and tell me what highscores you get....

I actually just came to level 4 or 5...with 5900 points

PS: The included irrlicht-gcc.dll can be used to compile with mingw and direct3d9 support...means link to irrlicht-gcc.dll instead of the libirrlicht like u normaly do and then ofcourse include it into ur release.
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

Going to be starting abit late, but you can count me in on this contest as well.

EDIT: Also, what are the specs for the judges computers, this way I know what I can and can't add to the entry? Thank you in advanced.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Ok my entry is done....don't have any time to polish graphics and stuff. But the gameplay is done...

My question is now where should i send it? Or is it enough to just post the link here?If that is it enough here it is including the source and two project files (code::blocks and devc++) ready to compile the whole thing...just read the readme in the source download everything needed to compile is in the download. No need to setup your linker!!!!

Download Page for SpaceFighters
jreuschel1

Space Invaders 3D Idea

Post by jreuschel1 »

3d space invaders qualify?

Here is my 3d Space Invaders Project:

www.geocities.com/jreuschel1/SpaceInvaders.zip

let me know if you think it is a good game.

Post by Rambus »

@jreuschel1 - An awsome concept, I wish I had been as original as you.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

yes, nice concept :)
sound effects were almost loud enough to pop my speakers though!

now what I wanna know is WHERE'S ARMEN'S ENTRY :?:
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
3ddev

Post by 3ddev »

... And what are the "prizes to be announced?" :?: