Bullet Physics Integration

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
nullReference

Bullet Physics Integration

Post by nullReference »

Up until today I was planning on integrating bullet physics into my project from scratch, but after some searching I discovered there used to be a wrapper called irrBullet? From what I can tell the repo hasn't been updated since 2012. Does anyone know what happened to this project and if there is a more recent fork which still receives updates that I have missed? If there is not, how do most go about integrating bullet into their projects? I'm not against implementing my own solution, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there is already a pre-existing solution that works with the latest stable versions of irrlicht and bullet.
MartinVee

Re: Bullet Physics Integration

Post by MartinVee »

There is a forked version that is supposed to work with Irrlicht 1.8.1 : https://github.com/danyalzia/irrBullet

There's also one here : https://github.com/irrmich/irrBullet

Disclaimer : I didn't any of them, though.
nullReference

Post by nullReference »

MartinVee wrote:There is a forked version that is supposed to work with Irrlicht 1.8.1 : https://github.com/danyalzia/irrBullet

There's also one here : https://github.com/irrmich/irrBullet

Disclaimer : I didn't any of them, though.

Appreciate the links. I'm currently using irrlicht 1.8.4, which that version would probably work with. However it also appears to no longer be active. I'm hesitant to incorporate code which doesn't have an active community behind it. From my thinking, if I were to incorporate bullet from scratch, most issues I run into are probably already documented or there is at least an active community which may be able to provide insight into what the issue is. If I incorporate a dead library and run into an issue...well...I'm on my own more or less. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it?
MartinVee

Post by MartinVee »

Just my two cents, but here's what I learned from experience.

A debugged library is much better than coding it from scratch. You'll run in all sort of problems that another programmer has already figure out. So even if you use code a bit outdated, you still bring in the experience of the other developer(s).

If your goal is to learn in the process, though, you'll learn much more by coding it yourself from scratch. But even then, I wouldn't shy away from looking at the older code. That might give you a lot of ideas on how to implement it yourself.

Wisdom of the Ancients, as they say.

By the way, there was an issue raised on Danyalzia's fork a few days ago, and the author replied, so the repo might not be completely dead. You might want to contact them to check on the project status.
nullReference

Post by nullReference »

MartinVee wrote:Just my two cents, but here's what I learned from experience.

A debugged library is much better than coding it from scratch. You'll run in all sort of problems that another programmer has already figure out. So even if you use code a bit outdated, you still bring in the experience of the other developer(s).

If your goal is to learn in the process, though, you'll learn much more by coding it yourself from scratch. But even then, I wouldn't shy away from looking at the older code. That might give you a lot of ideas on how to implement it yourself.

Wisdom of the Ancients, as they say.

By the way, there was an issue raised on Danyalzia's fork a few days ago, and the author replied, so the repo might not be completely dead. You might want to contact them to check on the project status.
Greatly appreciate the advice! :D