Problem with graphic devices under Windows 10 64 bit

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Gruftsocke

Problem with graphic devices under Windows 10 64 bit

Post by Gruftsocke »

Hi everyone,
I have a big problem with OpenGL and DirectX 9 graphics devices.
The problem is that I can not switch to full screenmode, if I set the parameter "structSrrlichtCreationParameters::fullscreen" to "true".
The window is set with a resolution of 1024x768 for the window mode.
I have set the resolution of 1024x768 over the parameter "structSrrlichtCreationParameters::windowsize". :wink:

Now, when the application starts, the window is set as a pop-up window in the upper left corner (x, y = 0.0) with a resolution of 1024x768.
But it does not go to fullscreen.
When I start the application in windowed mode, the window is not centered on the desktop.
When I start the application in fullscreen with directx9, a message comes that the DirectX9 device is not supported, but in windowed mode this message does not come up and the window starts as a normal window in the upper left corner (x, y = 0px, 0px) a resolution of 1024x768, but not centered on the desktop.
Is the dricetx9 device supported or not? :?

I have the irrlicht-sdk compiled with Win8.1-SDK under VisualStudio2017.
Then i have installed the "Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)" for directx9 support in irrlicht.

My graphics card is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and driver version 390.77 (up to date).
My operating system is Windows10-64Bit

I never had any problems with it, but only since this computer (that's new PC, about 6 weeks old).

Best regards
Programmers never make mistakes! They only build new features ....
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Problem with graphic devices under Windows 10 64 bit

Post by CuteAlien »

Hard to tell from here. But it might be that your graphic-card/monitor combination does not support that resolution full-screen. It could be nvidia driver restricts the resolutions (for example they sometimes restrict to 16:9 resolutions unless you disable that). Try to use the same fullscreen-resolution your desktop has. If that works then it's likely some problem like that. Irrlicht can give you a list of supported resolutions as well with something like:

Code: Select all

IrrlichtDevice *dummyDevice = createDevice(video::EDT_NULL,core::dimension2d<u32>(100,100),false,false);
video::IVideoModeList *videoModes = dummyDevice->getVideoModeList();

IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Gruftsocke

Re: Problem with graphic devices under Windows 10 64 bit

Post by Gruftsocke »

I found the mistake.
When I created the Irrlicht library, I chose the wrong platform toolset.
Irrlicht was created with Win7.1SDK and I have selected Win8.1SDK, which is the default toolset of VisualStudio2017.
Fullscreen mode works under OpenGL and DirectX9 in all resolutions now.

Thanks for your help.
Programmers never make mistakes! They only build new features ....