Getting strange readings with valgrind

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Ceultem

Getting strange readings with valgrind

Post by Ceultem »

Hi! :) I have just recently started to program with Irrlicht, and I'm not yet very used to it. I'm programming on Linux-based os (Debian), and recently decided to run one of my programs with valgrinds memcheck tool. Valgrind spit out a huge ammount of different errors like this:

Code: Select all

==2311== Invalid write of size 1
==2311==    at 0x8D9D5FF: ??? (in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_dri.so)
==2311==    by 0x1E0B97BF1F: ???
==2311==    by 0xB087F3F: ???
==2311==  Address 0x7ffaec5e6e2e is not stack'd, malloc'd or (recently) free'd
==2311== 
==2311== Invalid write of size 4
==2311==    at 0x8E080F6: ??? (in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_dri.so)
==2311==    by 0x1010000: ???
==2311==  Address 0x7ffaec62c9e0 is not stack'd, malloc'd or (recently) free'd
==2311== 
==2311== Invalid write of size 8
==2311==    at 0x8E080D7: ??? (in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_dri.so)
==2311==    by 0x1010000: ???
==2311==  Address 0x7ffaec62c9e4 is not stack'd, malloc'd or (recently) free'd
The huge ammount of errors soon resulted in the message:
==2311== More than 10000000 total errors detected. I'm not reporting any more.
==2311== Final error counts will be inaccurate. Go fix your program!

What is interesting is that despite the errors, my program seems to run just fine. I have also downloaded the tutorial example sources from the Irrlicht website and compiled them with the provided makefiles. I tested the tutorial binaries with valgrind also, and got the same errors with most of them. So the problem probably isn't in my code. I suspect that there's something wrong with my setup. Any ideas on how I could fix this? In theory I could live with these errors, since myprograms are usually running just fine, but these errors make it quite hard to debug the programs. :D

EDIT:
The errors are referring to fglrx_dri.so. I have an AMD based GPU, and the fglrx_dri.so seems to have something to do with the AMD drivers. I still have no idea how to fix this problem, though. :?

EDIT 2:
The problem doesn't occur if using software rendering. Also, intrestingly I can run the first tutorial with openGL rendering without any errors, while most of the other tutorial programs do produce the errors.
hendu

Re: Getting strange readings with valgrind

Post by hendu »

The bug is in the AMD driver, not your program. Also, you should move to the open driver, AMD's blob is bad quality.
Ceultem

Post by Ceultem »

I know. :D I used to use the open source driver before, but sadly some games don't work with it. In general I do try to use open source software when possible. Maybe I should have two OS installations, one with the closed driver, and an other one with the open source driver. :D But so, if the bug is in the binary driver, then the only solution to fix this would be to start using the open source driver, right?
hendu

Post by hendu »

Yes. If you used the one shipped by Debian, it was likely years old; the latest one runs most games better than AMD's blob, see Phoronix.