Forum Etiquette - Plz read before posting! (taken from Baal)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
afecelis
Admin

Forum Etiquette - Plz read before posting! (taken from Baal)

Post by afecelis »

Here are a few pointers (stolen from the Ogre forum rules, only a selection I found most important)

:arrow: Always search the forum and the Wiki before posting. You should also familiarise yourself with the API and Manual.
:arrow: Summarise the topic accurately in the headline. For example "HELP!!" is not a valid headline, nor is "What is going on?". A good headline might read "alpha_reject behaving differently on GL rendersystem".
:arrow: Do your homework first. Investigate your problem by experimenting with variations, looking at logs, and using your debugger. Problem solving is a learned skill, you have to DO it to become self sufficient. We're happy to help but expect some effort from you too.
:arrow: Post just the pertinent details and explain what you've tried and what you've looked at already. Don't just post your entire codebase, say "it doesn't work!" and expect people to sort it out for you.
:arrow: Be succinct. State the problem, the symptoms, the investigation in a structured and easy to read form. Blocks of rambling text will just get you ignored.
:arrow: Post in proper English. If English isn't your first language, we'll cut you some slack, but there is no excuse for native English speakers to post contraction-filled, badly punctuated, grammatically random posts. This isn't a text message, people, and continually using contractions like 'U' and 'ur', and interspersing every second sentence with 'lol' will lead me to stop caring what you have to say in short order.
:arrow: Don't 'bump' threads unless you have something more to add. If you didn't get a response the first time, it's likely that you didn't provide enough information, or people thought you hadn't done enough work of your own to justify a response. Or, they just might not have known the answer.
:arrow: No political discussions, especially not in technical threads. If you really need to discuss those things, keep it inside Off-topic.
:arrow: No spam or 'I like this' replies. While it might look obvious, this is necessary due to the excessive abuse of forums through spam-bots. We are often removing postings which are more or less clearly spam replies. Just don't let your posts look like a typical spam post such that it won't be deleted.[/quote]
Last edited by afecelis on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

you should make this a sticky, otherwise this will soon be lost in a flood of spam and n00b posts :)
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

IMO, it also needs to be made clear that just because you're a veteran, you don't have the right to flame these beginner posts that are in wrong forums or ask the same question over and over again. Either read the post, roll your eyes, shut up and go to the next post, or simply ask them to post in the correct forum or tell them to use the search function. Also, if someone has already mentioned to the bad poster that they need to use the search function, their is no need for 5 other people to also remind them. All of this is the reason there are forum moderators.
  • If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all
We could call it the gfxstyler rule!!!

I'm more annoyed and frustrated with the mean responses from the community then I am with the beginner posts.

Post by Guest »

i dont quite understand, do you mean its a rule specifically for me because i dont like n00bs and sometimes treat them, or is it a rule that says the stuff i preach to n00bs here every day? :roll:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

@Gfx: yup, I'm making it sticky but I made some changes in my admin options by mistake (oooops!) that dropped my rights to do that. I'm fixing it this afternoon after work.

@Spintz: thanx for your comment as well. I just found the points to be very clear about how someone should behave in this kind of forum. The other reaction should be a rule of basic politeness. But it seems like these "good manners" have started to be left behind :(

As a final remark; I'm discussing the posibility of cleaning the forums up a bit with Niko. So some pruning might start happening anytime soon :wink:
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

This should be mandatory viewing: http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

:P
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

I actually watched the whole film. The worst part is that as comical as it is, it is true.

Post by Guest »

Afecelis, you tell us to use proper English and the title of this topic is
Plz read before postin...
Plz <- Thats what I'm refering to.

Just saying, you cant just say it, everyone has to follow these rules.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

oh yes! It's just that I copy-pasted it just as I found it in the forums. Lazy me! :wink:

But I think "use proper English" is not "use proper grammar"; but: "express your ideas in an understandable way using a basic level of English". Expressions like "plz" "lol" "rofl" "brb", etc are already a part of internet's culture and jargon and everyone understands it.
elturko

You are right!!

Post by elturko »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions(I m sorry about my english,isn t my born language).
I hope to be enough clear on my postings to learn about this cool engine .

Thanks again.
Danny Gilbert

Irllicht QUESTION ONLY, NOT C++ issues

Post by Danny Gilbert »

I want to add my comments:

I see too many peoples who ask question about C++ or STL only QUESTION.

Even if it seems "funny" to create GAMES (game is an entertainment by definition), creating good software game is a BIG and SERIOUS JOB.

We need to KNOW C++ PROGRAMMING before diving deep into game creation. IRRLICH is an 3D Engine which use C++.

All these people who don't know C++ and ORIENTED OBJECT PROGRAMMING language needs to do their HOMEWORK and learn C++ before.

They POLUTE the Irrlicht WEB SITE.

You are welcome on Irrlicht but please ask your C++ question on other Web or forum.... like www.codeproject.com or www.cplusplus.com, etc.

Thanks !
bitplane
Admin

Re: Irllicht QUESTION ONLY, NOT C++ issues

Post by bitplane »

Well, due to Irrlicht's simplicity and popularity lots of people learn Irrlicht as a way to learn C++ and game programming. The people asking the dumb C++ questions are actually the majority of our users, so we don't mind these questions so much in this forum! :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Answering a noob question is like having sex with a midget: there's a wonderfully satisfying sensation of being a giant.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way